Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word looking for DATA1 for one user on the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

vipereyes

Technical User
Mar 26, 2003
US
Hi all,

My computer is set up for two users - me as the administrator and then I recently added another user - "friends" with limited access. I can open Microsoft Word just fine but when logged on as "friends", it opens the installer and says I have to insert the disk and wants to look for DATA1. It will eventually open after I keep trying to close the popup windows. Of course I can only find one of my two Office disks and it's not the one I need. It seems like I should be able to copy the file from one user to the other or edit the registry?? Any ideas?

It is windows XP with SP3 and Microsoft Office 2000.

Thanks in advance for your help

Kim

DATA1 seems to refer to DATA1.msi, an installation file, needed to configure the installation. Frankly, Microsoft made a mistake by giving the file such a general name.

I think you need to find that disk, or as administrator, make a copy of the file available to user "friends"(you may need to search the hard drive).

[tt]Office 2000 .msi files
File name Description
data1.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition (all Office products)
data1.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Professional Edition (similar to Premium but does not include Microsoft PhotoDraw)
data1.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition (includes Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Outlook)
data1.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Standard Edition (includes Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Outlook)
data2.msi Microsoft Office 2000 Disc 2 (includes Small Business Tools and Publisher)

Note In Office 2000, the file name data1.msi does not clearly identify which version of Office you have. In this case, you need to inventory the installation of Office programs on your computer by examining your Start menu entries or click Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel and scan through the list of entries to determine the version of Office that is installed.[/tt]

Further complications are due to service releases for office 2000 leading to more Microsoft technical support notices:

Ok, but I ran a search for DATA1.msi (when I was logged on as administrator) and it could not find the file on my C drive. I did seach hidden files too. Shouldn't I have it somewhere if I can open Word?

I just do not understand why I can open Word with no problems but anyone logged in as "friends" cannot. I didn't install another copy of Word for the "friends" account, I just copied the Word shortcut onto their desktop. All the other shortcuts I copied to their desktop(internet explorer, google earth, picasa, etc.) work fine.

When you originally installed Word 2000 did you install it for use by all users or for use by only you (administrator)? It is an option in the installation process.

Have you tried creating a new shortcut from the Word .exe file and placing it in the "All Users" desktop?

Hope this helps.

Please help us help you. Read Tek-Tips posting polices before posting.
Canadian members check out Tek-Tips in Canada for socializing, networking, and anything non-technical.

cmeagan656 - I can't remember, it was a couple of years ago. I did put a new shortcut in the all users desktop but it didn't make any difference.

The thing that bugs me is that after hitting cancel or the X a few times it Word will eventually open up and work fine so maybe the file is not really needed? Maybe I can find a way to bypass even looking for this file on startup by editing the registry?

O2ksr1a.exe leads to a broken link at the Microsoft updates site.
However,I have found the SR1 administrative update for office 2k, which contains the updated Data1.msp file:

2004-03-31 ftp://ftp.lansystems.co.uk/pub/Microsoft/O2KSR1aDL.EXE

51MB - 5 min @ 155KB/sec

Whether it will help or not is a different matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back