Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

word hyperlinks to pdf hyperlinks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsgoodtobeking

Programmer
Jun 5, 2003
US
When I convert a word doc to pdf, I am losing the hyperlinks in the transfer of the data. I am using MS Office 2003 and Acrobat 6.0. I know there is a checkbox in the settings of the conversion to keep the links and that is checked. Any suggestions?

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am losing my mind. I am using headings and bookmarks in my Word doc to create hyperlinks. On creating the PDF, some of them work, and some dont't.

Same problem - we have a PDF manual created from Word, and extensive hyperlinks that used to work, don't anymore! Wonder if it's changes in the Reader that are no longer compatible ?

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

Is the resulting PDF created in the same directory as the source? If not, that may be the reason for the broken link. The hyperlinks are relative and if placed in a different directory, they may not work.

Brian

Brian, that sounds absolutely logical! I'll check it out directly - thank you!
Fred Wagner

Fred Wagner
frwagne@longbeach.gov

HI there,

I have the same problem with several people here. Can you please tell me if you found the answer?

Kind regards,
Paul.

I plug you in, dim the lights
Electric Barbarella !

I was using Acrobat 6 Standard and upgraded to Pro. Then my problem went away. There were certain things you can do in Pro that don't work in Standard.

I had this problem with acrobat 5.0. Don't know if it applies to v6. There should be 2 icons at the top of word for creating a pdf. They didn't appear on my system. I found a patch "5.05 acrobat patch/update". After installing the patch, the icons appeared and my generated pdf had working links.

HI,

I'm using Acrobat 6 Pro and have installed the updates. Still no joy.

Paul.

I plug you in, dim the lights
Electric Barbarella !

Duran -
Be sure to make sure the links you embed are fully qualified - so they include the complete path to the server as seen from outside your firewall. I had one document from the state govt that my boss wanted to put ON our website, but the way the links were embedded, they only worked if you opened the document on the original website - intentional, in this case. Don't know if this applies to you, but worth noting.

Fred Wagner
KQ6Q@arrl.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back