Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word - How to make it stop thinking for you? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2002
US
Got a document opened and trying to type the following in it -

001/02 2002. But when I do that, it looks like -
1/2 2002. I know that if I put a space before the / and go back and delete it afterwards I get what I want, but that's a hassle. Is there some way to keep MS from assuming you want a 1/2 when you really don't?

Also at the end of a document when someone puts their initials at the bottom of a page, Word wants to automatically capitalize the first letter. How can that be turned off? Any tips would be much appreciated!!

Go to Tools, Auto-Correct, and uncheck items you don't want to happen. Go to the next tab "Format as you go" and uncheck the items you don't want here.

Also if people don't want Word to autonumber or bullet things for them, uncheck those boxes on Format as you go and on the Autoformat tabs.

Open the Word doc, then go to Tools, then AutoCorrect. On the first tab (Autocorrect), uncheck the option "Capitolize first letter of sentences". On the second tab (Autoformat as you type), uncheck the option "Fractions (1/2) with fraction character (½)". Then, on the fourth tab (Autoformat), uncheck the same option "Fractions (1/2) with fraction character (½)". That should do what you want it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back