Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word -> Quark ... FREE application 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncdude

Programmer
Jul 28, 2003
GB
As far as I understand it seems impossible to import Word files into Quark while retaining the bolds and italics and have the text arrive in Quark in no style - thus allowing a style to be applied after the import has been done.

It is for this reason I wrote an application to solve this problem - it only runs under OS9 though

I have many colleagues who couldn't live without it - one user often puts books through it with hundreds of pages - and thousands of replacements are made. It is for this reason I have posted the URI to the application. I hope it is of use to some of you!

Any comments would be greatly appreciated... and should I be incorrect in thinking this is the case then please let me know

Although extremely unlikely I obviously can't take any responsibility for any loss or damage the software might cause

Hi Marcus

Sorry - i didn't explain - just SELECT ALL from word and drag & drop onto the small window of the application - then start

It will save an Xpress Tags file for you to import into Quark (make sure you import with the 'convert styles' option checked

Kind Regards
Duncan

Thank you Marcus

I'm really glad you like it! - and thank you for the star

I am working on an OS X version - i'll keep you posted i promise

Kind Regards
Duncan

I'm pretty sure when I import a Word doc into Quark 6.5 it does keep the bold and italics -- I remember having to replace them with the actual fonts instead of the style pallette. Could there be something about the way some Word files are saved that makes those effects disappear in Quark? Or am I special? [bigsmile] It *does* lose all the font information though... replaces everything with Helvetica.

Hi signal49

Yes - the bolds and italics do come in from Word - [red]BUT[/red] the paragraphs end up in a style - and this is not nice. It is far more useful for the styles to be retained and the paragraphs to be in no style - so that you can apply a style of your own. If you try to apply a style to text imported from Word it does not work. You have to force the style... and then all the bolds and italics are lost

I hope this explains fully - as it is not easy to explain

Kind Regards
Duncan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back