Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word graphic doc conversion to pdf & fonts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarnish

Technical User
Nov 13, 2006
US
Hi all,

New to acrobat using acrobat 8 pro.

I'm looking for some guidance concerning fonts. I've converted some word documents that were basically images of documents placed into word (read: each page is one big image of a page of text). I converted to pdf which gave me pdf full of images. I then used ocr in acro 8 pro to convert the images to text which did a decent job. However, I've left with several font-related issues that are all related I'm sure:

1. I didn't open distiller once until just recently. Anything I should have set in there prior to converting my files wasn't set. I converted the word docs to pdf using the 'create pdf' button in word 2007 mostly, with some files requiring the 'print to pdf printer' route instead.

2. After converting the image pages to text via ocr, and while using the 'find ocr suspect', when I change the text it's 'guessed' to replace the image fragment left over, I get the message about the font being different than one originally used in the document. It says something about another font dependency being added to the file (as a result of the change I made). Can someone explain the practical ramifications of that to me? I think I understand that, in an ideal world, I should change the fonts to whatever I want in the native program that created the original (pre-pdf) file, but that's not possible here and apparently....somehow...the ocr functionality identifies the font used in the images as a font I don't actually have on my computer? How??

There are some other related issues, but what I'm really just trying to figure out is how best to deal with the font issue when I'm working with text converted by the ocr feature from 'pictures' of the hard (paper) copies of the documents. Is there some place to set the font used by the ocr software? Can you set a 'set' of fonts so you get bold and italic and regular text, where needed?

ANY direction would be GREATLY appreciated.

Tahnks,
T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back