Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Files Magically Turn Into .asp?? Please Help! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodomen

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2001
US
Hello!

I know very little about .asp. However, I do work at a helpdesk, and a user is having a strange problem. From two different sources (both within the company), he's getting .asp attachments to his e-mails when the user was just sending a Word document.

You open it, and you can read the text, but somehow the rest of the outlook interface has become JavaScript commands (reply, reply to all, save, etc). and is embedded into the e-mail itself.

Even stranger, is that one of the types of e-mail where he experiences this problem is a mass e-mail, sent to all employees. None of the rest of the company sees it as an attachment.

Can anyone explain this?? Any solutions? If I at least had an explanation, I'd feel better!

Please help! :)

+Melanie-

We have had a similar problem, with any exe files, all these files are set up so that if they are attachments they are altered to a different file extension so that they cannot be opened, or even sometimes deleted/// You may find that the email system is set up to stop any types of attachments,

Not all of the files are .exe, though. Most are Word or Excel. Everyone else (as far as I know) gets the same files normally (in the case of the mass e-mailings), it's just this one guy who they turn into .asp file for! I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

+Melanie-

does this user write ASP? I'd check his file assocaitions, perhaps he has MS-Word files associated with and ASP editor

Thanks. I don't think he writes ASP, but you have a good point about checking file extensions. I think I'll give that a shot to see. Those seem to get corrupted occasionally.

Thanks!

+Melanie-

goodomen,

I know that some email systems support htm or html files embedded into an email message. That means when I open my email, Exchange interprets the commands with IE and it looks like a web page. I didn't know you could do this with ASP, but I'd be VERY, VERY LEERY about opening ASP pages from email cause they can run code that can take control of your system and wreak havoc because it can contain VBScript commands.

My advice is NOT TO OPEN any ASP attachments in email, but use NOTEPAD to view it's contents.

Goodluck,
fengshui_1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back