Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word file sizes are out of control!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin1232

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2001
US
One of our users is getting word docs in excess of 100mb. The thing is the docs are only 2 pages long and have nothing but text in them.

When they are opened in Word it starts converting the file. I believe from RTF. Why I don't know because the docs were all created and saved as .doc files. If I save as over the top of the file it tells me it will save the file as a .doc from .rtf Why does it think the files are Rich text. I have checked all the defaults, but everything is to word. Probally a something dumb, but I haven't found it yet.

The only time i've ever come across this it was caused by disk corruption. Bascially the FAT entry for the file got screwed and it was picking up a ton of other stuff as being part of the file. Depending on what the other stuff is, the file may appear reasonably normal in Word (i think if it finds its own end of doc marker early in the rubbish).

Try running scandisk. Also have a look at the file in a hex editor to see if u can recognise any of the rubbish.

Cheers,
Colm

What version of Word is being used? And is the person saving it in the appropriate version of Word rather than a previous version of Word? joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

It is word 2000 and the originals were in 97. the user has been told and shown how to save as 2000 file. It seems to happen when she copies objects from other docs. Some of which might be in 97.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back