Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word, Excel and Outllook, weird problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbby2003

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
US
There is a weird problem in Office.
All the apps (Word, Excel, Outlook ) work just fine in some situations, but in other situations it runs very slow, and sometimes it shows not responding when I click the drop-down list to save as... in Word and Excel, and it is doing the same ( very slow ) when I attach a file to send email in Outlook. It works perfectly fine when I edit and save files in Word and Excel, instead of save as... It is also working good when I send email without attaching a file in Outlook.
When I edit a text file and save as... it is running quick. The problem with Office ( running very slow when save as...) is so weird.
I went to help---detect and repair--- in Outlook and Word and it did not report any error. I checked windows system files and they are good. I even did restore Windows to a previous time when Word and Outlook were working fine but it did not solve the problem.

The hard drive has enough space. And this is a new laptop with 512 MB memory, Windows XP pro, less than a year old. Office 2003 installed on the machine, I don't have the CD.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Here is a thought..........

If this is a work (Corporate) laptop, your default save folders may be directed to a HomeSpace server at your company's location. And each time any Office application does anything with a file, it has to sense all the drives (partitions or shares) associated with the PC/laptop.

hth.......

Thanks,
Bob

Thanks so much, nbkp25v.
That sure solved my problem.

All the files are saved locally on the laptop. There is no redirection. But I set up a mapped drive while I was setting up a server at a client's site. Now after I disconnect that mapped drive, the problem is gone.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back