Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Documents always open as read only from outlook 2003 attachment 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLewisBPM

Technical User
Jan 11, 2002
GB
Does anyone know how to stop Outlook 2003 opening word doc ument attachments as read only?

Kind Regards

Kelley Lewis

Opening Word attachments is a bad idea, as Outlook does not open the document itself. It makes a copy and then opens that. This was to fix a previous situation that had serious version control consequences. Generally speaking, to be on the safe side, save the file, then open it.

Previously, when you opened an attachment, Outlook alkso made a copy and opened it as a real file. Changes made to it, were saved to the COPY, NOT the attachment. So you when you saved changes the attachment, any changes you made when you opened the attachment were NOT there.

Again, it is better to save an attachment, and then open that. We have made a policy on our network (XP - 2002) that no longer allows viewing of attachments. 2003 I believe now opens attachments as read-only in order to prevent this version control issue.

I may be wrong, but In think read-only is now a "feature".

Gerry
See my Paintings and Sculpture

Thanks for the response, I have googled the above question but cannot seem to find info directly relating this issue.

I have a user that has a new PC running office 2003. In the past he has opened a word attachment direct from his inbox made some changes and sent it back to the sender. Now however he has to save it somewhere before he can make the changes and then has send a new email.

If it is a feature then there should be a way of switching it off.

Kind Regards

Kelley Lewis

Is it possible the user just doesnt have the appropriate permissions?

The user has the same domain permissions as all of our users. We also have 3 other users on office 2003 and when they open word attachments in outlook they are not read only?

It is quite strange.

Kind Regards

Kelley Lewis

Can the user read/write to the hard disk?????

And is it read-only as in the file system attribute or is it read only set in Word itself

Everything else is fine, when the user opens the word document and hits file>Save the document is then set to normal?

All other attachments are fine i.e. excel files

Kind Regards

Kelley Lewis

I found this on another board. Several users there said it helped them.
----------------------------------
If you open the attachment from the preview pane, they will open as read only. If you open the message and THEN open the attachments, they will open as editable files. When you are done editing the document, you should be prompted to save them where you can specify the file name and location.

Thanks WAHMom, The user (My MD) has accepted this as a solution to his problem!! Have a star!

Kind Regards

Kelley Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back