Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Document

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam102

Programmer
May 18, 2001
US
I have a file test.doc created in Microsoft word 2000.
When I try to open this file in vi editor or any other editor in Red Hat Linux environment it displays only garbage.
Can u sujjest some way by which I can view the file.

Hi, sam102!

Word document isn't true text document. Word, like any other word processor, puts special characters (metacharacters) into document. If you open word processor document in any editor, you would see this metacharacters and original text. So, to view Word document, you must open it in Word viewer (if you have it).

Bye!

KP.

Hi Sam -- you could try saving the document as HTML (it's an option on the Save As menu) and then use Netscape to view the document. Mike
michael.j.lacey@ntlworld.com
Email welcome if you're in a hurry or something -- but post in tek-tips as well please, and I will post my reply here as well.

Try using Star Office from Sun. I don't know how it will handle Office 2000 but it works fine for Office 97.

Save it as a .txt (ascii text) file and you can read it anywhere you want (as long as you have a computer available ;-) ). d3funct
zimmer.jon@cfwy.com
The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back