Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Document to Access Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nene75

Programmer
Feb 27, 2003
US
Hi Everyone!

Is there a way to extract data from a .Doc or .RTF file to the Access database?

Word has an object model that allows you to do anything you like with VBA. Trouble is, like everything Microsoft, it's so excruciatingly complicated.

Hi

There is no reason why you cannot open a word document from within access, traverse through the text and pick out what you want, the difficult bit may well be picking out the bits you want,

similarly from within word, you could right vba to save bits of the document in an Access Table

Depends on what you want to do

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Thanks Mike and Ken for the quick response!

I have about 500 Resumes and would like to import them in to the Access Database without doing data entry of each resume.

I really don't know any VBA. Can you suggest any other way to accomplish this task?

Might it be better to link to them

Hope this helps
Hymn

Hi

Yes I think under the circumstances I would agree with Hymn, what i would do is save the documents in a given folder, then design a table to hold

Key items of information eg name, Skills etc and the path to the document,

this table would have to be manually populated with data from the documents

write searchs etc based on this table

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

Mike,

Yes our HR department gets documents in .RTF, Doc, .PDF, and inline text in e-mail messages. So they're all in different format.

Hymn and Ken:

Actually, that's how I have it set up right now - where I have a hyperlink to the actual Resume file. HR is debating on to purchase either the OTC software for resume inhaler which directly imports all the resumes to the database or to hire a data entry person to enter all the resume manually. We have about 1000 some resumes to make the data entry for.

Hello Nene75

I have been working with HRIS for some time...dealing with resumes and tracking... i guess my best tip is start encoding those files into the system. Why?

1. Usually you'll end up searching names, records etc...into your dbase where as links you'll just have links and short description which is very limited access further details of resume.
2. having files around in your disk may accumulate increasing file space...unless you want to increase your hard drive now and then...
3.think of the other possible uses of your system instead of being just transactional.
4. links can be broken easily...once the location has been moved..you're done!
5. buying HRIS is expensive to some...and complicated. study on the best HR solutions that fits your needs... not just to compromise...

goodluck

Mybers!

Thanks for the good tips.

Right now I am working on developing Resume Database which includes Biographical Data, Education/Work Info, Location Preference, EEO Information, Resume History, and Interview information of the applicants. And have developed a search form for Names, Highest Degree Obtained, Degree Major, # of years of work experience, Government Experience, Skills and location. Eventually, our HR would like to have this database somehow to be linked with HRIS database (which is yet to develop). HR would prefer to make less data entry as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back