Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word defaults to printing in landscape

Status
Not open for further replies.

nogs2

MIS
Jan 10, 2005
GB
A friend of mine is using XP Office, when he opens a new document the page layout defaults to landscape, when he wants to print the page it wont allow him to do it in portrait.
Ive tried printer settings but still it defaults to landscape. I have even uninstalled office and reinstalled with no change to the layout/prints.

thanks for any help in advance.

Nogs

don't want to sound silly but when you go into page setup and change it to portrait do you click on the save as default?

Hi Eyec

I had already tried that, when I do try and save the new settings I recieve this error:
"increasing right hand margin causes last column to become too narrow in some sections having unevenly spaced columns.

Sounds like you've got problems with your Normal template. Try closing Word and deleting or renaming it. When you restart Word a new one will be created.

Look in Documents and Settings/(userid)/Application Data/Microsoft/Templates for Normal.dot and rename it (to Abnormal.dot or something).

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at [url=http://www.vbaexpress.

Thanks for that Tony I will try it, I thought there was a template file, but was looking for Normal.doc!!!

Hope this works thanks
Nogs

If all that doesn't work, try checking the global print settings:

Windows Start Menu ->Settings->Control Panel ->Printers and Faxes -> select the printer, and view it's properties there - if it's set to landscape, change it to portrait there if you want. That's just my guess. I know for a program called Snapshot Gold (a great financial planning program - small, simple, and seems to be accurate), and it has no formatting options for a print out (the only downside I can really find). By the way, if you wanted software like this (without just creating something for yourself in Excel, you can get it for about $12 including shipping at .
But back to my point, in order to get a particular print out to fit on one piece of paper in a legible format, I had to change the global print settings while using that program, and just change them back to the default after I was finished with that program.

Give it a shot!

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back