Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word could not send mail because of MAPI failure: unspecified error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

microcare

MIS
Oct 28, 1999
AU
How do you reconnect Office 2000, Netware, Groupwise, MAPI The system is Netware 5 with Groupwise 5.5 as the email<br>
All works well. We the upgraded several workstations to<br>
Office 2000. Now if you go to File&gt;Send to&gt;Mail recepient you don't get the groupwise mail program.<br>
You get - Word could not send mail because of MAPI failure: &quot;unspecified error&quot;<br>
We have been to Start&gt;settings&gt;control panel&gt;internet options&gt;programs&gt;email but to no avail. <br>
Any Ideas ? Tar<br>

I believe that I just read an article on this while searching through Novell's knowledge base for &quot;Outlook&quot; or &quot;Office 2000&quot; at support.novell.com. If I remember correctly it said something about Groupwise 5.5 not supporting Outlook 2000. If you loaded Outlook when loading Office 2000 (typical install) then this might be causing a conflict. Check it out and see if it helps...<br>
<br>

I have done so more investigations. We are having the same problem with Windows 98 and Office 97.<br>
But still no solution.

I have a sort of answer. <br>
The file WMS.EXE will install windows messaging. This seems to interface with groupwise. It works, how someone may be able to tell me.<br>
wms.exe is to be found in the directory <br>
?:\grpwise\software\client\win32<br>
I would like to hear how it went.

Hope this helps... I'm rolling out a new install of GW 5.5 and have come across several systems that have exhibited several different problems that ultimately were found to be Windows Messaging problems. One error states that the &quot;packing.lst&quot; couldn't be opened, etc. <br>
<br>
The $200 Novell fix was that MAPI32 had been messed with by Windows. Check the file size of \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MAPI32.DLL and the file size should be about 600~700K. A wrong size is less than 100K, about 30~40K. In every case, there was a mapi32.dll of about 30K and a saved copy of the 600~700K mapi32.dll called something like mapi32bak.dll or mapi32.dl_ or something obvious like that. I renamed mapi32.dll to mapi32.dll.old and renamed mapi32bak.dll to mapi32.dll and restarted the GroupWise install. Install worked fine.<br>
<br>
Because not every system's Windows Setup dialog box had a Windows Messaging option, I even went as far as putting a known good copy of mapi32.dll from Win95, Win98 and WinNT on my network so I could just suck the appropriate file down and install it in the WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. Windows doesn't seem to mind. It doesn't seem to require a &quot;formal&quot; installation of Windows Messaging; just the file. I also noticed that in many cases, Windows Messaging WAS already installed on the system but the &quot;good&quot; file had been backed up and replaced with a &quot;bad&quot; file.<br>
<br>
During my many visits to the Novell Support Knowledgebase, I recall reading that even after having GroupWise 5.x installed correctly, installing M$ Office 2000 &quot;messed&quot; with mapi32.dll and broke GroupWise.<br>
<br>

This works for office 97 it may also work for 2000<br>
<br>
1) Close all office programs<br>
2) Go to Explorer and GOTO C:\windows\Forms<br>
3) Delete the file frmcache.dat<br>
4) Go to C:\program files\windows messaging\mlset32.exe<br>
5) double click on mlset32.exe to run it - this will rebuild frmcache.dat with GroupWise settings.<br>
6) Try the office program again and the send to feature should work now.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back