Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word Conversion Wizard. Need Help with formatting. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThornPCC

Programmer
Jan 6, 2000
US
Hi,<br><br>I have to convert a series of ascii text documents to Word 97 format.&nbsp;&nbsp;I know I can set the font in the wizard.&nbsp;&nbsp;I've done this already, but now I have to find a way of getting the text formatting right.&nbsp;&nbsp;The ascii document is 68 characters per line mono-spaced.(from a DOS based program.) <br>When it gets converted it stays tyhe same length but uses the Arial font size 11.&nbsp;&nbsp;So the lines are shorter than the original.&nbsp;&nbsp;This makes the document look silly.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>Is there a way to have it some how repaginate the document and pull the lines up so they fill the whole width of the page?<br><br>Thanks. <p>Phil<br><a href=mailto:Thorn@full-moon.com>Thorn@full-moon.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Most of us go through life not knowing what we want, but feeling damned sure that this isn't it.<br>

Hit the show/hide button on your toolbar. You probably have a bunch of paragraph returns at the end of the lines. If so, figure out how you need to find them, i.e., do they appear at the end of every line and there are no spaces at the beginning of the next line? If so, do an Edit-Find and replace. Put ^p^p in the find box and the word in all caps PARAGRAPH in the replace box. Then, do another find/replace with ^p in the find box and nothing in the replace box. Then, do a final find/replace with PARAGRAPH in the find box and ^p in the replace box. That should wipe out all unnecessary paragraph returns...usually. Whatever way you do it, using find and replace can really clean up a document for you. It's just figuring out what you need to find and replace and what order you want to do it in.<br><br>If you get a great email joke but it's got all those &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; characters in it, you can find &gt; and replace with nothing. When I say replace with nothing, that means don't put anything in the replace box. It's acts like a global delete.<br><br>You might want to save one of your files as test.doc until you get the find/replaces right. Then, you could record a macro in a file called FIX.doc (make sure you save the macro in &quot;this document&quot;. Then, you could open FIX.doc, then open another ascii text file and run the macro with the text file &quot;on top.&quot;<br><br>Hope you understand. If not, email me a copy of one of the ascii text files and I'll see if I can create a macro for you. <A HREF="mailto:dreamboat@nni.com">dreamboat@nni.com</A> <p> <br><a href=mailto: dreamboat@nni.com> dreamboat@nni.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back