Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word caused GPF....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyTech

Programmer
Nov 14, 2000
KR
Hey,

I have a client who is running Word 2000 on Win98, up till about a couple of days ago, all was working fine. Until the user tried to start Word, and it hung at the splash screen. ctrl alt delete doesnt even respond till about 1min later, and even after that if I try end task it will clear the screen and but stays hung, even ending Exploter.exe does nothing, just clears the screen again.....
Eventually a DOS message (kinda like the Win 3.1 errors) comes up saying that the system is dangerously low on system resources. But it is not. The machine is a P4 with 256megs of RAM. I had the resource manager open when starting Word, and it shows that there is about 85 - 90% of resources FREE in each of the 3 resources. I also tried safe mode, no joy. Word came as OEM with MS Works Suite 2001. I tried re-installing Word, removing then re-installing, removing Works and Word then installing Word on its own but still the same thing...
(I have also tried as Admin or another user)
Sometimes if I launch Word, I get the background of the app, just the title bar and the actual window, but that is all and it is completely grey. Also, it managed to generate a GPF, and I got the first bit of the details before it hung on me and had to do the usual turn off then on again....
here is what I got...

WinWord caused a General Protection Fauly in Module USER.exe at 000b:000023ld
Registers:
Eax=00005 68c cs=1737 EIP=00023ld EFLGS=00000246
BYTES at CS:EIP
c4 lf 26 8b 07 48 67 8b 49 24 8b 49 24 85 d9 c4 lf 26 89......and the rest is missing...

I have a disassembler on my machine, but its no use really as I dont know if its Word or USER.exe that contains the strings..???

Anyone any ideas what to try...???

Thanks for reading!

(PS...I have double posted this in the MS Office forum...) Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Hi KayTech

Have you tried renaming Normal.dot and see if helps. If so, then
the problem is a corrupt Normal.dot (reinstalling doesn't replace this
file). Word will automatically create a new Normal.dot.

if that doesn't help try this excellent site

smitee

Ohh good tip Smitee, I forgot about that!! I'll try that one and let you know how it works out!!

Thanks!!!

PS...excellent site too! Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back