Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word and WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeAL

Programmer
Mar 15, 2001
FR
Hi peeps,

I have a problem with Word and Windows XP.

I cannot open any file because I get this message : "file is locked for editing".

I'm sure that I don't have any temp file (I deleted all temporary folders ;-) ), I've tried to change my normal.dot and it's still the same error message.

Does anyone got an issue to solve this problem ?

Thanks in advance ...

If you click on a file in the XP explorer the XP explorer generates a preview of that file. This preview is what's probebly locking your file.
You could try closing the explorer or the explorers preview part (left bottom of the explorer window) and then try to edit the document.
I had this problem trying to delete a jpg as it was displayed in the explorer (file is locked, some app using it, sharing error).

Is it Word 2002(XP)? If it is, have you activated it? If you do not activate the product, it goes into Big Fat Viewer mode (all you can do is view and print files, not edit them). Once you activate the product, this problem should go away.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back