Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word always opens with the same words displayed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tfost

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2004
GB
I occasionally use word to check spellings if I am using another program that does not have a spell checker. A while ago I checked the spelling of the word 'Commandeering'. I simply opened word typed it in and then closed word. However now every time I open MS Word the word Commandeering is always there.

I have no idea how I did this so if anyone has any advice on how to stop it I would be very grateful.

Hi,
Somehow you managed to save "Comandeering" into your Normal.dot. Anything you save to Normal appears each time you start Word, e.g. Styles, toolbar settings, macros you have recorded, autotext and (as you found) text.

Find Normal.dot - it will be located in your "User Templates" folder. Delete the text & save.

An alternative, only if you haven't got anything special saved in Normal.dot is simply to delete the file (with Word closed). Word will recreate Normal.dot with "standard" setings when it is started next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back