Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim03

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
I have 2 users on a WinXP HE system. I installed Office 97 as one user, and the icons were not visible when I logged on as the other user. So I dragged the Start Menu 'Microsoft Office' folder to the 'All Users' Start Menu. Now both users have access to Office programs.

However, when I double-click on a Word document, it opens in Word, then a couple of seconds later, a message appears saying, "document is being used by user name. Do you want to make a copy?"

The user name in question is the currently logged-in user; no other users are logged in and this is the first time the document has been opened since being copied to the hard disk.

Any ideas? [ponder]

When you dragged it to All Users, the first user probably got a duplicate in some way.

That wouldn't make Word try and open a document twice. There are no duplicates, all I did was move the Office start menu shortcuts to All Users.

This is something screwy with Office 97 products. I've run into this with Excel. I can't find the reason or the correct solution, but this might work for you:

Open the file, copy the text to the clipboard, close the file, create a new file, paste the text into the new file, save the new file, close word, try to open the new file and see if it only tries to open once.

This is how I work around this issue with Excel files.

Hope this helps,

.oO(FLiP)Oo.

Nice one, I'll give it a go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back