Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonB

MIS
Jun 1, 1999
US
Make Normal View default view when opening documents. Whenever I open a new document in Word 97, the doc always opens in Page Layout view. How can I make Word open docs in Normal view?

It is my understanding that documents open in the view they were saved in - the view is saved with the doc. I may be wrong, since I've been using Word 2000 for a while now, but I believe 97 worked that way as well.

Open up the visual basic editor (Alt-F11) on a blank document. On the left-hand side, double-click normal.dot and then double-click This document under normal.dot.

Paste this code into the code window. If you can't see the code window, hit View-Code.

Private Sub Document_Open()
ActiveWindow.View.Type = wdNormalView
End Sub

techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Well, I solved the problem by re-installing Word. I did this before I read any of the above solutions. But I like Dreamboat's solution, and I will use it so that the problem doesn't reoccur. Thanks all.

Dreamboat, I tried to follow your instructions but they are incomplete. 1. I don't see on the left side of the code window any reference to Normal.dot. How do I click on Normal.dot when it is not present? 2. When I exit Word it prompts me for a name to save Document1 under. If I save the code under whatever name I give Document1, how will this affect all other documents I wish to open in Normal View? Something is missing here. Please explain how saving the code under a specific document will affect all other documents? Thanks

Ron-I sent you an email. Forgot to say...before you exit the Visual basic editor, hit File-save, which will save the normal.dot file. Otherwise, if you are asked to save normal.dot, say yes!
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

OK, Dreamboat did as you said but I get this error message everytime Word opens:
"Run time error 91.
Object variable or With block variable not set"
What is wrong with your code statement that causes this error? I've done a lot of VBA coding but only in Access and I am not familar with VBA code in Word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back