Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

word 97 won't open window!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunKing

Programmer
Jan 25, 1999
US
i had Word 97 open and working. a trusted party emailed me with a Word doc attached. I tried to open it. the Word window disappeared but Word stayed open as evidenced the the icon on the bottom of my screen.<br>
i reinstalled Word 97 (professional) - same thing happened.<br>
i downloaded SR-1 and SR-2 and then i had .dll errors - Word 97 couldn't be "found".<br>
i uninstalled Office 97, reinstalled it.<br>
no more .dll error<br>
BUT STILL THE SAME WORD 97 MISSING WINDOW.<br>
i have lots of hard drive space and for the life of me i can not figure out what the problem is.<br>
<br>
any ideas!!!!

Have you attempted to right-click/restore from the Word button on the task bar?

I had the same thing happen, and found some information on TechNet. I can't remember exactly, but it was something to do with the office shortcut bar being moved from the default location at the right of the screen. Also, something to do with hiding the shortcut bar. Try moving your office shortcut bar, and unhide it, then right-click and restore Word on the task bar. If you have your office shortcut bar in the right place, try moving it and then putting it back. We had about 10 machines with this problem at work.

it turned out to be a registry problem conflicting with what i put in Normal.dot<br>
<br>
thanks for the suggestions!!

Hey SunKing,

I'm having this problem right now. What was your solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back