Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 97 how to set fixed page margins, very tricky....

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodbuddy

MIS
Jul 31, 2002
US
I'm creating a letterhead macro inside of Word. I have run into a wall while trying to set a fixed margin that cannot be violated. I have created the letterhead macro and set the margins for letterhead portion. I would like to set a fixed margin for the body of the document so nobody can backspace or arrow back through this margin setting. The maring is set at left .3" at the letterhead but needs to be at 1" for the body of the letter. How can I set the margin for the body without effecting the letterhead. So far I have tried making the letterhead an actual header, I have tried page breaks, I set the margins in page setup for the "whole document" and from "this point forward" ect...any advice is welcome. Thanks

Have you tried making different sections? I'm pretty sure that each section can have a different margin. Leslie
landrews@metrocourt.state.nm.us

There are 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary
and
those who don't!

I have tried sections and your right that you can set different margins for different sections but when I create my section break...it adds a line. When the macro is run you can backspace right through that margin. What I'm looking for is a protected margin like Wordperfect offers. You can protect a block of space, where nobody can tab,backspace,arrow through your set margins. Are you aware of any way to create this "protected or fixed" margin?

Is ther underlining in the document? A seciton break shouldn't create a printable line. Are your paragraph codes turned on? That may be the line you are referring to and that is not seen when printing or when codes are turned off.

I am curious . . . please forgive me But why are your creating a Macro instead of a template????

If a file is out on the network then yes . . other people will be able to access the template. If you have an email address I can create one and show you how it works.

You need just a regular memo type deal with logo in the top correct?
You can email me at ThomGa@VSP.com

Please let me know of what information you are needing for the header.

A Template is just that. . . a Skeleton of the final Doc. One use is to make creation of a similar document (office memos) consistant and easy. Using sections and protecting a document should take care of your issues there. If find it much more simple than a macro.

Hiya - sorry to butt in

But is your letterhead filled by the macro or do you need your users to be able to type anything in it.

If not, try using TOOLS > PROTECT DOCUMENT > FORMS, and use the SECTIONS button to select the letterhead section
This'll disallow your users from entering this section & changing anything - including Section formats

HTH

Cheers
Nikki ;-)

At last, I have found the solution. Thanks Nikita, the protected forms sections was exactly what I was looking for. This allowed me to protect the margins by locking down the "mysterious" inserted section break line. I appreciate everyone's input on this project. I don't know how much time I would have spent searching for that option. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back