Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 97 crashing printing one particular document only

Status
Not open for further replies.

acoustic

MIS
Apr 8, 1999
GB
As above, printing one particular document on one particular machine crsahed with a page fault in WINWORD.EXE.<br>
Other documents will print fine; indeed, this document will print fine on another machine. The printer does not seem to be an issue, as I have tried different printers also.<br>
<br>
<br>
Any ideas?.<br>

I have run into this before. There is apparantly an ambiguous setting somewhere that is associated with this file on your machine. If you rename or file copy the file, the problem will remain. However, 9 times out of 10 if you cut the text and paste to a new document, save, delete the old one, and rename the new one (if you want)this will work. I've never been able to find what causes this, but it isn't a rare problem.

I've seen this problem in 2 distinct forms:<br>
<br>
The first is associated with Mainframe downloads that have embedded printer control charters. These characters are intended to do special things on a specific printer, but they are giving confusing messages to the current printer. Use a hex code interpreter or at least an editor that displays the hex value of characters and find those that start with a 'Ctrl' character code.<br>
<br>
The second is due to a problem with the printer driver and is usually corrected by getting a current printer driver from the manufacturer of the printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back