Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 80 page book fold 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkipVought

Programmer
Dec 4, 2001
US
How will Word print an 80 page (20 sheet) booklet?

I would hope something like 2 8-sheet signatures (64 pages) plus one 4-sheet signature (16 pages) for a total of 8 pages.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

What you'll get might depend on how many sheets per bookfold you choose. A 5*4-sheet bookfold is probably what Word would give you if you left it on Auto. Try printing to PDF; that should give you a good idea.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Thanks, Paul. Didn’t think about printing to PDF. I’ll try that when i return from breakfast.

Skip,
[sub]

This can be set in margins setup, 32 sheets per booklet.

combo

This can be set in margins setup, 32 sheets per booklet.
Except that there are only 20 sheets...

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

This would print 2 x 32 pages + 1 x 16 pages remained

combo

This would print 2 x 32 pages + 1 x 16 pages remained
32 sheets = 144 pages. The document contains only 20 sheets (80 pages).

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

32 pages is 8 sheets.

Are we on the same page or the same sheet?

Skip,
[sub]

I just got around to running a test.

I parred my test document down to 21 pages.

In Page Setup inder Pages I selected Sheets per booklet 4.

The result was 1-sheet signatures of 4 pages. Sheet 1 had pages 4 & 1 on one side and 2 & 3 on the back side reading left to right.

Then I selected 16 sheets per booklet and got a better result:

Sheet 1 had pages 16 & 1 on one side and 2 & 15 on the flip side.

So far so good for signature 1, containing 4 sheets/16 pages, 1-16.

Signature 2 had problems.

Sheet 1 had page 17 on the right half of the front and page 18 on the left half of the back. So far, so good.

Sheet 2 had page 19 on the left half of the front BUT the back was blank!

Sheet 3 had nothing on the front side and page 20 & 21 on the back. What was on the back of sheet 3 belonged on the back of sheet 2.

Not sure what to do. For my 80 page book, I want to use 8-sheet signatures, so my Sheets per booklet will be 32. But that leaves me with a 2 32-page signatures and 1 16-page signature. I could make a 64 page document and a 16 page document and print them separately. However, I’m using an exposed Coptic stitched binding and having signatures of equal thickness is more desirable. I could either pad fore and aft of the current document with other material to 96 pages, which would be 3 32-page signatures or go with 5 16-page signatures.

Just wanted to share my results, my conumdrum and my alternatives.

Skip,
[sub]

One thing to be aware of with PDFs is that they tend not to produce blank pages that you might want for layout reasons in hard copy. Trimming down to 21 pages may have caused that, as you no longer have a multiple of 4.

I have no idea how, say, the 4-sheet folds compromises the desired output from a binding perspective. That said, it's fairly common to pad a booklet's front and/or rear with blanks to get a desired multiple of 4 (which is the necessary pages/sheet count). Since you already have a multiple of 4, nothing more need be done, though experimenting with adding another 4 or 8 pages, with some in the front, back, and/or even in the body, might help you get the desired result; it really depends on whether you have chapters, etc. you want to force to start on an odd page. I don't imagine you'd want to go to as far as 24 sheets, though, to get 8-sheet or 12-sheet folds.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back