Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2k (Link?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Churchtechman

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
US
I want to be able to type something into a document at a particular place and have this same information appear at another designated place in the document. For example, if I type in the date at the top of page 1, I want the date to appear on the top of page 2 without having to retype it, like linking cells in Excel. How do I do this? I have been reading on hyperlinking but this is not what I'm looking for.

Church,

To palce a date in the header or footer of a document, go to View, Header/Footer. Click on the date button on the Header/Footer toolbar.

To repeat whatever text in the body of your document, select your text, go to Insert, Bookmark and type a name for your bookmark (e.g. date). On page 2 or anywhere else you can repeat it with a field: Go to Insert, Field. Choose Links and reference under Category and Ref under Field name.
Click the Options button. On the tab Bookmarks choose the name of your bookmark (date), click the add to field button
and click ok twice.

There are many variations and possibilities using field codes. Post on Tek-Tips if the Help proves less than helpful.

Ilse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back