Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2011 & Mail Merge Postcards...Is It Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt463

IS-IT--Management
Nov 23, 2005
Hello!

I am trying to create a postcard in Mac Word 2011.

Page 1: The front image (occurring 4 times)
Page 2: The back side
This is where my problem begins. I have four "backs" on Page 2. I created a table that is 4 x 2. Columns 1 and 3 are the body (static letter). Columns 2 and 4 are the address fields for the postcards. I created a mail merge and entered the following code in each of the four cells:​

«First_Name» «Last_Name»​
«Address»​
«City», «State_Province» «Postal_Code»​
«Next Record»​

I continue to get the following error: "You cannot include DATA, NEXT, NEXTIF, or SKIPIF fields in comments, headers, footers, footnotes, or endnotes."

I am stuck! Any ideas?

hi,

Why do you have MailMerge data in Header/Footer?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Thanks for your response. As far as I can tell, I don't have it in either the header or footer. I read some other threads that talked about the issue being that I am using tables. However, isn't that what label mail merges are?

I just made sure that the tables are within the printable body of the document. I still get the error...

...and it also includes COMMENTS, FOOTNOTES, ENDNOTES.

You should be fine having a table that contains your MailMerge tokens in your document. SOP!

I'd put the NextRecord in the same cell as the Postal_Code...
[pre]
<<First_Name>> <<Last_Name>>
<<Address>>
<<City>>, <<State_Province>> <<Postal_Code>><<Next Record>>
[/pre]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Just figured it out!

I created a new document with the tables only. The <<NextRecord>> code was in the wrong place - needed to be at the beginning of the address line. I don't know if that was the only issue. But it works now!

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back