Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2010 Numbered bullets not restarting at 1 after save

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenrirshowl

Technical User
Apr 29, 2003
GB
Hi folks

I have had a search on the site but I couldn't see anything appropriate.
I have also searched the web and the best option is to run a macro to convert numbered bullets to text before a merge (simply "ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText" - I haven't tried this yet as the office I work in is not populated with VBA literate staff and a non-VBA fix would be preferred to save me having to be involved in every mailing we produce!)

I am therefore hoping one of you clever souls are able as assist!

I have a mailmerge (written by someone else) of a 14 page letter being sent to 40 people. The letter has multiple bulleted areas, all numbered.

First problem (now solved)
Letter 1 has bullets 1-3, then 1-4, then 1-5, say
letter 2 has bullets 4-6, then 5-8, then 6-10, say
After a search on the web, it was found that you need to highlight the entire paragraph, right click and then tell it to restart the numbering from 1.

New problem (unresolved)
The merged letters are fine, while the file is open after the merge. However, when you save it, close and re-open, the bullets have reverted to the original position above. I need to remove the problem after the save.

Has anyone managed to solve this glitch without using macros?

Many thanks in advance
Fen

Do the same with the merged document. Save it, reopened it and for each list restart the numbering from 1. Then save it again.

My respects,
Vilhelm-Ion Praisach
Resita, Romania

Hi Vilhelm
Thank you for the reply. I have tried it, but it didn't fix it for me unfortunately - the bullets still continue numbering.
We are working on citrix servers through something called "One Desktop" which could be causing unforeseen problems, if what you suggested is the way to fix it.
(One of the problems with One Desktop is that the servers are not indexed so we can no longer perform searches by file content, only by file name - very poor. I miss our old local server! We have had other issues with microsoft within One Desktop rather than working on C: on a desktop say.)
Kind regards and thanks
Fen

It's interesting that changes made in the mailmerge document are preserved, while the same ones made in the generated document are not.

My respects,
Vilhelm-Ion Praisach
Resita, Romania

The simplest solution is to not use automatic numbering. Use manual numbering instead (in the mailmerge main document), for so few paragraphs, it's a simple fix.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Cheers guys.
It does seem an odd one, and it does look like manual numbering is the way forward for us.

Thanks all

Fen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back