Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2010 form ActiveX textbox issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

remeng

Technical User
Jul 27, 2006
US
All;

I am working on a word 2010 form and I am running into an issue with the textboxes.

Summary of problem:
After the form is locked so that only data can be entered, the text box will not expand properly. The width and the multiple line functions does not work. What occurs is that the box will go to 2 characters wide and expand vertically only.

Textbox type:

ActiveX Textbox being used (Needed for VB script reasons)

Current Textbox Settings:

Autosize = True
IntegralHeight = True
MaxLength = 0 (infinity)
Multiline = False
WorWrap = False

Settings Tried:

Autosize = false
IntegralHeight = True
MaxLength = 0 (infinity)
Multiline = False
WorWrap = False

Autosize = false
IntegralHeight = True
MaxLength = 0 (infinity)
Multiline = true
WorWrap = False

Autosize = false
IntegralHeight = True
MaxLength = 0 (infinity)
Multiline = true
WorWrap = true

Autosize = true
IntegralHeight = True
MaxLength = 0 (infinity)
Multiline = true
WorWrap = true

Word Doc configurations:

Form = locked
Textbox was inside a table and outside of the table and the problem is occurring in both conditions.

How can I resolve this issue?

Thank you in advance!

Mike

Hi,

Why are you using an ActiveX control, rather than Word form controls?

It has been a while since I used Word form controls on some legal (real estate) documents (2005) and they expanded as filled in a locked form where you could TAB from field to field. Don't believe a ActiveX controls do that, but I could be wrong.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Hi Skip,

Long time no chat. ActiveX allows for a very quick execution of macros. The old form field has a habit when launching macros to either hang up / lock up / or crash word.

Both fields can be tabbed.

Mike

The old form field has a habit when launching macros to either hang up / lock up / or crash word.
That's most likely to have been caused by poor coding, a corrupt document, a rogue 3rd-party addin, or a faulty Office installation. Formfields, per se, have never had a reputation for such behaviour vis-à-vis OnEntry or OnExit macros. Moreover, ActiveX controls are not supported on Macs. I don't know if that may be an issue for whoever will be using your form, but it's something you should be aware of. Alternatively, since you're using Word 2010, you should consider using Content Controls. Like ActiveX controls, but unlike Formfields, these don't require document protection to be applied before they'll work; they're also much more flexible. The possible downside is they don't work on Word 2003 & earlier.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back