Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2007 VB macro issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hof

MIS
Mar 27, 2002
SE
Hi
We have an issue with a Microsoft Word template that is causing problems in Word 2007 after our upgrade to Office 2007. Our farm is PS 4.5 The problem occurs with all documents (10s of thousands) that have been created from a specific template that contains an AutoOpen VB macro. If macros are enabled you get the following error message when the document is opened:

Microsoft Visual Basic
The setting could not be created

If you click OK in this message the document is opened and you can edit header and footer and manually update the fields but it is very annoying that everyone gets this message.

The problem does occur in the following situations:
1. If I open one of the documents logged on with my normal domain user account as well as for the users.
2. If I open a document logged on with a normal domain user account even if have made that account admin on the Citrix Server.
3. If I open a document logged on with a normal domain user account even if have excluded that account from the Citrix server GPO.
4. If I open a document logged on with a normal domain user account even if have deleted the user profile for that account.

The problem does NOT occur in the following situations:

1. Log on to the server with my admin account and open the document. This account is not a member of the domain admins group it is only a Citrix administrator account.
2. Log on to the server with a newly created server local administrator account and open a document.
3. Log on to the server with a newly created server local normal user account and open a document.

The main function of this macro is to update all fields in the document (mostly in header and footer) when the document is opened.

I am not a VB scripting guy but we have been able to see that the error occurs when the following command line in the VB macro is executed:
Application.Options.UpdateLinksAtOpen = False

If I open the macro in edit mode and run it from there the error message is a bit different:

Microsoft Visual Basic
Run-time error '5416':
The setting could not be created

Since it does not seem to matter whether you are running this as an admin or a normal user we suspect that this is caused by some GPO or other setting that is outside of our control. The problem is that we cannot figure out what type of setting that could cause this type of error and I have searched the web without finding any tips that help. If anyone has an idea that could help us solve this we would be very grateful.
Thanks in advance
BR
/Hof

What happens if you try the MACRO testing as a domain user when the machine has NO group policies applied to it?

Do you have a bunch of group policies just for Office 2007? Disable those specificially.

with out office 2007 we had a number of issues with the Word2007 and the Group policy configured for "auto recover" changing the autorecover to "not configured" got things working....?? in our instance we had autorecover enabled, but the path was blank....its a long shot, but might be worth a try... ??

SCANJAM

Hi
Well since I don't have full domain admin rights i haven't been able to test without any GPOs at all, I have just been able to disable the GPO for Citrix and that doesn't make any difference. I am going to check that further. I have been looking at the auto recover function and we have that enabled but we have a path configured so I don't think that issue applies to us but I will check it again. Thanks
/Hof

This is now solved. It was actually caused by the autorecover setting in a GPO. The autorecover setting was enabled and the path H:\ was defined. Had to change this to an UNC path instead then it worked. Thanks for your tip.
/Hof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back