Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2007 Mail Merge problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuppicide

Vendor
May 17, 2007
US
Anyone know how to get Word 2007 Mail Merge to work? I've made address labels before just fine by exporting the data from our accounting software into Excel, then doing a Mail Merge in Word.

But now here's what I am trying to do:

I was asked to make labels to put on our clothing. I have made these in the past, but I manually typed in all the data. Took me a long time. Why should I have to type the data when it's already in Excel?

So, I have a label format I want to do the Mail Merge on. It's a standard Avery 5163 template.. 2" x 4" label. In Word I've modified this. I broke each label up into 3 smaller labels. Then after I print we can cut the labels.

Here's how my data appears in Excel:

Style | Print | Color | Price | Color2 | Color3 | Color4 | Color5 | Color6 | color7
Style | Print | Color | Price | Color2 | Color3 | Color4 | Color5 | Color6 | color7
etc.

I can modify that Excel to a different format pretty quickly if needed.

Here's how it should appear on the label:

Style-Print
Color
$Price
-------------
Available In:
Color
Color2
Color3
Color4
Color5
Color6
Color7

So, with each cell of the 2" x 4" label divided into 3, I can fit three of those per label.

I open my document, I select recipient list in Word 2007, then add my fields to the blank document. It looks as follows:

«STYLE»-«PRINT»
«COLOR»
«Price»

AVAILABLE IN:
«COLOR2»
«COLOR3»
«COLOR4»
«COLOR5»
«COLOR6»
«COLOR7»

.. except there's 3 per label.. so in total I can fit 30 per sheet.

When I do it that way it makes 30 of all the same item!

I have fooled around with «Next Record» and can get mixed results. Sometimes I get one row of all the same item. Sometimes the colors will be messed up.

There's a picture of my current screen so you can see what I'm going to explain below.

In my Excel file the first three items are as follows:

1155 | 1210 | Black | 29 | Black | Pink | Lime
1155 | 1210 | Pink | 29 | Black | Pink | Lime
1155 | 1210 | Lime | 29 | Black | Pink | Lime

So, those first three labels should come out the same, except the second line color should vary Black, Lime, Pink.

The next 3 items are wrong.. 1155-2210 does not come in colors Blue, Saddle, or White.

Hi,

Mailings > Start Mail Merge > Select Recipients > Use Existing List > ...

Your Workbook ought to either be in My Data Sources folder or drill down to your workbook.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I actually figured out my own problem.

It's because I first divided my 2x4 label into 3 columns, but then I divided that into two rows. The rows were causing a problem. I only did that because I wanted a line in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back