Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2003: Table headers and footers

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyrocks

Technical User
Nov 16, 2006
US
I just discovered the repeating headers function in MS Word (Office 2003 Pro). Is there some way to create repeating table footers as well? Thanks,

dylan

I am probably getting dumber as I get to the old foggy stage. I sometimes just don't get what people are asking.

I assume you are asking about putting a footer in a table.

No such thing.

Two options:
Break up the table per page and use last row for your footer.

or

Make your footer look like it's part of your table. So, you can have two parts to your footer. 1. Actual footer and 2. Something just above the actual footer that looks like it belongs to the table above

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Yea, I was hoping you could auto-repeat the last, say, 2 lines of a table on each page. You can do exactly that for a header by selecting the first row(s) or a table and selecting Table> Heading Rows Repeat. Seems reasonable that if it can create headers that way, it could create footers too. But you're correct, Word won't do it.

I've been trying something similar to what your second suggestion is: create a second table inside the footer and match it to the actual table. It's sort of working, I just haven't been able to edge match the real table to the footer table yet.

dylan

It is not reasonable.

Repeating Header rows have to include Row1, the first row. They are only repeated if they are first row again on the new page.

WHAT would be the "last" row or a table that can have any number of rows?

Footers on pages are a separate entity. They are independent of the page. That is how they can work as they do.

That being said, IF you know what row number you want repeated, it is possible to repeat rows that do NOT include Row1. You can not do it manually. If you select a row (or rows) that do not include Row1, then the menu item Heading Row Repeat is greyed out. However, you can do it with VBA. VBA allows any row to be repeated. It is repeated by row number.

If it was Row 4 originally, then Row 4 of the table on the new page will be a repeat.

So if you have a table that extends over pages and pages, it is possible to duplicate a footer like arrangement. However, the possiblity for error is so high, it would be rather foolish to use it.

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

WHAT would be the "last" row o[f] a table that can have any number of rows?"

Seems like you could establish that the same way you establish which rows you want to repeat as a header: highlight them, Table > Repeat as Footer. Word would know which row because you told it which one, and it could just fill in as many rows as possible in between the header rows and the footer rows. The footer rows could start at the bottom margin. Regardless of what it could do, it doesn't any of it so it doesn't really matter who thinks it's reasonable.

Doing it manually is obviously the simplest option, but a pain in the ass because adding and removing rows shifts things around too much. I would probably spend as much time fine-tuning the VBA as I would manually copying and pasting the rows. Thanks for the suggestion though,

dylan

I see your point. However, the repeating header rows are NOT derived from aspects of the table...they are derived by aspects of the page break. They do not use any derived positioning from the "margin" of the table. They are repeated IF they are the first row of a new page.

Quibbling. I agree. It could be done. I suspect the reason it has not been done is that there has been no call for it. I have never had use for a table "footer" in 30 years of writing technical documentation.

That being said, if you really DID want to do it, it can probably be done with VBA. But a little messy.

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

a little messy" only begins to describe these tables. I had the whole thing dialed and ready to go by creating these tables in Crystal Reports. But the client doesn't like the output... Crystal Reports exports to text format Word can read/edit, but it doesn't create rows and columns- just aligned text boxes. That means the client can't add/remove rows himself. Quite disappointing. For now, as the tables have to be finished tonight, I'll have to add the 'footers' manually. sigh. Thanks for the help,

dylan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back