Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2003 Mail Merge with Secure Access 2003 DB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexisb

Programmer
Apr 5, 2001
US
I've searched the forums here and looked on Microsoft's site. I have a mail merge document in Word 2003 for which the data source is a query in a secure Access 2003 db. The security is handled using an .mdw file. When I do the merge and select "Use existing list" and try to use the secure Access db as the data source, I get the logon screen. However, when I enter my username and password, I get the error "Test Connection failed because of an error initializing provider. You do not have the necessary permissions to use the 'my db name' object." The path to my db is in between the quotes. When I go into the db normally, I have a shortcut set up on my desktop that opens the db and mdw file, which shows the login screen first. But when I am doing the mail merge this way, it is bypassing the mdw file and just doesn't let me in. I've seen a few posts and MS knowledgebase articles but none seem to show the problem I am having. Maybe I am doing something stupid?
Thanks for your help.
Alexis

I am encountiring this same issue. Alexis, did you ever find a solution? Any one else?

No, I never found a solution. It was very strange. I couldn't get it to work at all on my computer but my client was able to get a result, although she did get warnings along the way. I had a copy of her database and we had the same Access versions (2003) and .mdw file. Sorry - I wish I could be of some help.
Regards,
Alexis

Found the solution: key in on the section "Create a Merge Document in Word, Using ODBC to Access the secured database."

--- the key is making a new ODBC source (Control Pannel -->Admin Tools--->ODBC.
1. Select Add, name the source (you'll refer to it later in Word).
2. In the middle section under "database" hit the Select button and navigate to where your mdb resides.
3. under the "systems databases" section select the database option and then click the System Database button and navigate to where your mdw resides (it might be necessary to have it in the same folder as your mdb??).
4. Click on the Advance button and eneter your sign -on and password.
5. Save this setting
6. Open word and your mailmerge document.
7. Under Tools/Letters&Mailings/Mailmerge select Browse
8. In the dialoge box select New Source and when asked what data source you want to connect to specify ODBC DSN ---> you should then see the new ODBC setting resulting from step 5
9. At the prompt enter your Access user id and password

Thanks for letting me know. I'll have to try it. I thought I had created a new ODBC source and it still didn't work but it was many months ago so my memory may be foggy. In any case, thanks for sharing your solution.
Alexis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back