Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2003 Macros & Autotext 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

coach4u

Instructor
Oct 30, 2004
US
I have a client that wants to share auto text entries in macros within her department. I don't have much experience was Visual Basic and limited knowledge with macros. I do create them and use them but when it comes to sharing and exporting I'm a little lost. Can someone help me with the following questions?

1. Where are auto text entries saved?
2. Can they be exported and shared?
3. Word macros are stored in the normal.dot file on the c drive, Can macros be saved/stored on a network?
4. any reason why you cannot export and import macros for another user? Can you export only certain macros and not the entire list? Why do I see NewMacros, NewMacros1, NewMacros2, etc?
5. What happens if I use the Remove NewMacros in the Visual Basic window?

Any helpful information regarding managing macros would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1. AutoText entries are stored BY DEFAULT in normal.dot. They do not have to be. In fact, it is a good idea to have AutoText entries stored in a separate global template, not normal.dot.

2. Yes.

3. Macros, recorded ones anyway, are stored BY DEFAULT in normal.dot. They do not have to be. In fact, it is a good idea to have macros stored in a separate global template, not normal.dot.

4. a) You can export and share macros by using the Organizer and moving them into another file. You can export whatever you like.

4 b) You see NewMacros because when you record macros Word, BY DEFAULT, creates a module (Newmacros) to hold them. Again, you do NOT have to do this. You can store macros within a document if you like.

OK. Tools > Macro > Macros, and then click the Organizer button.

The current file will be on the left, normal.dot on the right. As you likely do not have a separate macro holding file, all your macros will be in normal.dot.

You can select a macro and copy it over to the file on the left. You can close a file and browse to another , on either side of the organizer.

If you do build a macro holding file, close down either sideof the orgamizer and open the files you want.

Say you want to start a new macro holding file.

1. open a new document.
2. save it as a .DOT file. I don't know...call it myCode.Dot.
3. once saved, open the macro Organizer. See above.
4. Copy the macros you want to have in the file from normal.dot into you macro file.
5. a) if you want this file to be loaded automatically, so all macros are available to all files - copy the file into Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Startup ( or something like that...depends on your version.)

5 b) if you want to control when this file will be available, you can load it explicitly using Tools > Templates and Addins. Use the Add button under Global templates and Addins.

6. You will notice the Organizer also has an AutoText organizer. Use it to move AutoText entries to other files. Note however, these must be .DOT files, not .DOC files.

Gerry
See my Paintings and Sculpture

Gerry,

Thanks, that is very helpful information. I appreciate your explanation.

Patty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back