Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2003 and Reading Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosebud

MIS
Jun 19, 1999
US
Word 2003 defaults to the Reading Layout whenever I open a document. I can find nothing good about Reading Layout and want to change this default to Print Layout but can't find out how. Any suggestions?

Rosebud

Click the View button on the Menu bar and choose which way you want to view the page/s.

If you want the defaults loaded with Word, close Word and do a file search of the hard drive and delete the file normal.dot, it will be recreated when opening Word, may take twice to do it.

Thanks, Blujacket, for your prompt reply. I may not have explained myself very well. I know how to change the view once Word opens - and Word's default is to display in Reading Layout and I don't want that default. I want to change the default to Print Layout. Are you suggesting that I create a new normal.dot with the Print Layout view and, from then on, all docs I open - even those that come as e-mail attachments, will open in Print Layout?

Rosebud

I delete the normal.dot file, open Word and set it the way I want it.

Then I go to Tools, Options, the Save tab and put a checkmark in the 'Prompt to save Normal template' box and click OK to save the setting.

Then I close Word and answer No to save the document but Yes to save the template.

If all is well the next time I open Word, I go back and uncheck the 'Prompt to save Normal template' box, don't usually need to save again unless I want to change my preferred display, etc.

Deleting normal.dot didn't make any difference when I opened e-mail attachments. But I found the solution: in Word, go to Tools-Options-General and clear the "Allow Starting in Reading Layout" checkbox.

Rosebud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back