Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2002 Very Slow in WinXP

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmwar

Instructor
Oct 13, 2002
US

Word 2002 takes 20 sec to load and quite awhile to
close. It is part of Microsoft Works Suite 2003. Other
programs on this system load very fast. I also have Microsoft Office Suite 97 Professional and use Excel every day. Excel loads very quickly. I have 512 MB SDRAM, a 1 GHz AMD Duron Morgan CPU, a 10GB 7200 rpm HD. Deleted all tmp files, I have unistalled Microsoft Works Suite as well
as the Office 97 and then reloaded Word 2002 in Works
Suite about four times.
Cleaned the registry and defragmented HD after
uninstalls. Reloaded --- Word 2002 still extremly slow.
Techs say that I must reformat the HD. Would a repair of
WinXP do just as well? I do not want to format unless it
is the last option. Please offer suggestions. Any idea
about what is happening? Note: The same Works Suite was
loaded on other systems with WinXP and it works fine.

This happens to me sometimes when I have too many fonts. Check how many fonts you have?

This doesn't sound good.
Have you tried running up task manager and seeing what is taking the processor power whilst starting up word 2002?

If I was at that situation, I would format the hard disk, and clean install everything.

WHat have you got against reinstalling xp? It shouldn't take very long to do.
M,

Hollingside Technologies, Making Technology work for you.

Hello:
The first thing I do when I have problems with word is to remove your NORMAL.DOT That is word's template and when it gets corrupt it causes problems like that. To do this Make sure your hidden files are showing and seach for NORMAL.DOT and del it. Word will then rebuild it. I hope this takes care of your problems
ICON58

Deleting four normal.dot files solved the problem!!!!! Thanks for responding. I was going to format the hard drive. Does anyone know why the normal.dot templates slowed the entire program when starting and closing Word 2002??

On Why the normal.dot template slows down the program, the first thing windows tries to do when a file is corrupt is to fix it. So at the first it finds it is corrupt tries to repair it thinks it does and then opens the program. When it closes it finds out it is still broke so it tries again. I never wonder why this happens I am more amazed that it does not happen more. Also since Word can rebuild it you would think it could fix it but then where would us techies go???
Icon58

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back