Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2002, Numbered Styles 1 crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bischofb

Programmer
Jul 5, 2002
US
I have some documents based off a certain template and they keep crashing Word. Many time I will open the document and it will say that there was a problem with "Numbered Styles 1". I click to Goto it, but nothing happens. I have to go to another partition, open the document and copy/paste the whole thing to a fresh document. That lets it work for a few times before crashing again. I searched Google and there is only one other person having this same problem. I don't even use this style so it must be built-in. I would love to rebuild my template and try starting from scratch, but that would be a ton of work and the problem will probably still be here.

Any ideas?

Hi,
A couple of things you could try:
1. When you copy and paste to a new document, copy everything except the final Paragraph mark at the end of the document. This may leave behind bad code and help.

2. I don't know what version of Word you're using but you could try finding the Style and deleting it. In XP, open the Styles and Formatting Task Pane, find the style, right click on it and Delete. In Word 2000, open Styles on the Format menu and do the same thing.

HTH,

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back