Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000 puts garbage at the end of documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

kipozo

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2002
US
Word 2000 seems to be having a little problem. When opening up a few documents, it gives me some text garbage. I can type a new document and save it without this grabage, but when I open it... this garbage is at the end. Here is a sample:

C:\my documents\test.doc
C:\my documents\test.doc
[][][][][][]
Times New Roman
Times New Roman
C:\my documents\yada.doc
C:\my documents\yada.doc
[][][][][]
Font Size = 239
Font Size = 239
ETC
ETC

That's kinda what it does... if you have any suggestions on what would cause word to do this I would certainly like to hear some explinations.

Thanks.

Have Your tried deleting your Normal.dot file?

Indu

Have you checked your Virus definitions to see if they are up to date or not?

~TD

That is something that I have not done. I have reinstalled, repaird, and such, nothing has worked thus far. Is that normal.dot file replaced when a reinstall has taken place or is it something that is done when you run word for the first time?

normal.dot info please. :) Got to love it, nothing works like it should. Hehehe.

-=Kipozo=- ;)

When you click on File -> Open, look at what is says for 'Files of Type'. It will probably say 'Recover Text from Any File'. Change this to 'All files' or 'Word Documents' and the problem will go away.

Steve

If you delete (or preferably rename) the normal.dot file, and then start Word up again, the normal.dot file is recreated automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back