Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000 - how to clean a document of styles, macro's and other code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STU1979

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
GB
I'm getting a number of documents that crash work. After taking the content into wordpad and then back again all is fine. I'm not an expert but maybe there is embedded code, styles or something else? So can anyone offer maybe a macro that cleans the document of crap?!

We need more detail than that.

Please clarify: "I'm getting a number of documents that crash work. "

Word crashes? Your whole computer crashes? Do you get any error messages? If so, what are they?

" So can anyone offer maybe a macro that cleans the document of crap?! "

Possibly yes, no, definitely yes...except you had better clearly, explicitly, define "crap".

faq219-2884

Gerry
My paintings and sculpture

Ctrl+A, Ctrl+Q, Ctrl+Spacebar. That will remove direct formatting and revert everything back to their underlying styles.

However, opening and saving in WordPad does much more. To get close to that you will need to also apply NORMAL style. It will have drastic results.

What it won't succeed mimicking is if the document is corrupt, WordPad wll have removed that corruption and it is unlikely that the above actions will have that affect. But they may be more subtle and do what you need.

Regards: tf1

Hi tf1,

Of course, that pre-supposes there's a style problem and that's what's causing the document to 'crash'.

So far, the OP hasn't described the actual problem at all - only that taking a shotgun approach to the document cures whatever the problem is.

Maybe one of the solutions here:
will help, but without knowing what the problem is it's hard to say.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Hi Macropod

We need to hone our clairyovance abilities!

Terry

Sorry to be vague about Word 'crashing'. It's the worst word to use really. With certain heavily formatted documents which have been generated from several others (i.e. lots of copy and pasting), I have had word just throw up an error and quit. I have a feeling it to do with possible embedded code from macro's and a difference of styles and formatting so I thought that someone might of had similar problems and could offer advice on the best way to clean of document.

Thanks for the tips so far though. I check them out!

Well the Ctrl+A (selectall), Ctrl+Q and Ctrl+Spacebar will certainly clen up loads of mess and let you go through to reapply any styles that are not correct.

However, if the document (or part of) has even been in Word XP, then there will be masses of crap hidden in its structure. If that is the case, you may ber able to remove much of this by (using a copy of the document) saving it in RTF, closing it and opening it and saving back into .doc format. An indication that this has worked is a reduction in file size of the document before and after going through the RTF circle.

However, the only guaranteed solution to getting it really clean and stable again is to convert it into plain text in a text editor such as Notepad and saving it as a .txt document. Then open it in Word and apply all the styles correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back