Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000 document won't open

Status
Not open for further replies.

bygeek

IS-IT--Management
May 12, 2002
US
I have a customer who has a 20mb word file that takes forever (5 hours) to open. It's on a laptop w/256k ram. It has lots of pages and graphics. Is it just too big, or can someone suggest something that can be changed? We've tried everything - downloaded patches, updates, etc.

This could one or more of myriad of things.

Do other documents open fine? If not, try delteing normal.dot file

Is Outlook installed? Is Journalling off.

Have you done a cleanup of the laptop? Delete all TMP files, delete all files with a leading ~ etc?

When was the hard drive defragged?

How big is swap file? Do you need to up the virtual memory?

Is there a printer driver installed? Is it looking for a network printer?

Have you tried opening the same file on another system? Provided you have network connectivity.

Have you thought of breaking down the file into smaller chunks?

Does Wordpad open it faster?

HTH

Indu

Thanks, xl. We've checked most of these, but how do we break the file into smaller chunks?

Try to find an easy way to do it
1 year ago i find word documentation about opening
doc's rapidly find those docs

You may be able to open it a little faster by going to Tools, Options, View and checking "Picture place holders"

This replaces pictures with place holders.

If there are any links, you may want to uncheck "Update automatic links at Open" under Tools, Options, General.

When Word finally opens Start a blank doc and copy pages to it and save and repeat the process intil you have broken it down to four or five documents.

Then you can use master, sub-document feature of Word to link them all together.

Without actually looking at the file, this is all I can suggest.

HTH

Indu

PS If you do find a way to open it fast, I would love to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back