Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000 create *.tmp files

Status
Not open for further replies.

shashiy

Technical User
Apr 25, 2001
NL
Hello,

I hope some one has some tip for me too.
I can not open my word 2000 document, words says document is locked for editing by another user and I have a choice to notify or read only. but none of them works. and same time I get error that it can not save normal.dot.

If I check the location were I save my documents I see lots of *.tmp, *.~ kind of files. According to the Microsoft if you delete these files it should work. But in my case it does not. Does this is a local machine problem or the server where all the data is stored?

Any help is welcome

Please help me.

Try this:

Rename your normal.dot (to something else) file and then reopen Word. This should recreate your normal.dot file. Then try and open your file again.

If that does not work, then have a look at this excellent site, which belongs to Dreamboat, one of the experts in this forum:

When you see those ~*.tmp files in your user templates directory (the same directory that houses your normal.dot file) it means that Word is not getting a chance to save the changes to your normal.dot file upon exit. It may be that you're shutting down the computer before the changes are saved.

When you shut down the computer at the end of the day, do you get a message that WINWORD.EXE is still open and get the option to End Task on it? If you do, don't End Task because it will kill the WINWORD program without the saved changes to your normal.dot file.

I have had this problem in the past and I have found that it is best to give WINWORD about three or four minutes to close and save the normal.dot file completely before trying to close it. This will cause fewer problems in the long run and you won't lose your changes to the default template.

Hudey
Customer Service/Technical Support
Bonzi Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back