Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Word 2000, can't open files

Status
Not open for further replies.

micksopko

Technical User
Feb 15, 2000
US
I'm running Win 98 SE and Word 2000. I installed OpenOffice.org to try it out. It assumed responsibility for opening all Word documents after the install, whenever I clicked on a DOC shortcut. I changed the File Type Details in File Options so that Word became the default program to open DOCs as it used to be. Now whenever I click on a Word DOC shortcut in a folder, one of two things happens: it opens as usual, no problem; or Word opens with a dialogue box saying that the document or path name is not valid. It suggests trying to open the DOC from the Open command on the Word menu and this works.

Somehow I discovered that if an existing DOC is named with just 1 word it will open as usual from the shortcut. But it's a 2 word name, e.g. This File, I get the dialogue box. If I rename the file, ThisFile, it will open normally. What's hanging things up? TIA for any advice.

MICK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back