Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Won't delete FTP files

Status
Not open for further replies.

igolo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2002
US
My FTP site will not delete a file afrter it has been downloaded? I verified the use account has the delete rights but the file does not go away. The other problem is when I'm physically at the server I can see the file but I cannot read the file.

The problem is that the file has been marked as 'Delete Pending'. That is why even the Administrator can't access the file.

Delete pending means that some process still has the file open and it has been marked for deletion as soon as the other process closes the file. In all likelyhood, no other process really has the file open. I believe it is some issue with the FTP server that left the file open.

Rebooting the server will close all file handles and will allow you to really delete the file after the server comes back up.

I realize that it is not practical to reboot the server often.

I have no idea why IIS/FTP does this. I do have a work around though. If you will change directories on the FTP server immediately after deleting the file, when you return to the directory of the file, it should be gone.

So, your session would go something like this:
1- connect to the FTP server
2- GET the file you want
3- DELEte the file on the server
4- Change directories on the server (CDUP, maybe)
5- At this point, you can log off the server or go back to the original directory and the file will be gone.

Hope this helps.

You may not need to reboot the Server

You could just restart IIS(If you're using IIS 5), or stop and start the FTP service from the control panel.

Regards

sadcow2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back