Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wont browse workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelanlegend

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2004
US
I have two problems. The first being one computer using an opnboard Marvell gigabit network card cannot access the workgroup, though it should be able to. It's never head a problem before, but after the last reformat it is no longer able to browse the network.

Problem number two is of a computer unable to see other comouters on the network. This machine is running an Asus A8V mobo with the onboard Marvell Gigabit (no this isn't the same machine from problem number one) and it can see the workgroup, but cannot see anything but itself. I have checked and rechecked the configuration and even let windows autoconfiguration wizard give it a shot and still no luck. No computers on the network can see it, and it cannot see anyone either. I can still connect to other PCs, however, by going directly to their IP address. Oddly enough, other machines cannot connect to this machines IP address. Any ideas?

SNIP FROM lINNEY

Check out these and see if they help. Look at firewalls or Sharing (or lack of it) being a problem.

Simple File Sharing- enabled

Simple File Sharing - disabled

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

I tried all of the things suggested on those pages, but unfortunately they didn't work. In fact, now two other machines on my network are having the same problem. Reformatting fixes it, but that's a rediculous approach. Could this be viral? I have the latest sysclean and norton and pc-cillin and none of them are finding anything, but that doesn't mean it's not viral. Any suggestions?

. Make certain that Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled on all workstations;
. Make certain the Workgroup name is identical: no more than 12 characters, all UPPER CASE, without spaces or special characters;
. Make certain the Netbios Computer Name of each workstation is 12 or less characters, and follows the above rules for Workgroup name;
. No blank or empty passwords;

Finally repair your Winsock service: faq779-4625

It turned out that one of the guys on the network was running Trend Micro's PC-Cillin Internet Security and hadn't turned off the firewall. That particular firewall was what was causing all the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back