Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazyhorse

Technical User
Apr 15, 2001
DE
My Gateway 3100 won't boot up. I cannot tell whether it is the harddrive or something else. When I turn it on you can here the harddrive spinning for a fraction of a second but it stops before anything comes up on the LCD. One day it when I turned it on the it booted up to WIN 98 and then shut off. It hasn't been right since. Can anyone help?

Hi. It sounds like a power supply problem. Is your computer still on warranty? Check the power supply with a multimeter, or pull the ps and try it in another computer. If you're a little wonky about opening the case take it to a computer or electronics store. If you've moved the computer lately you should open the case and make sure all ps and data cables are securely connected.
Don Swayser
swayser@optonline.net

A little goofy problem that gateways have....and gateway has no explanation for it....but....sometimes when it doesn't boot, if you take the video card out of the slot and put it back in ...it will boot fine. We use this alot at the school and it's something tech support will tell you to do. Good luck :)

I remember when we had gateway machines we had to tap the top of the unit if the machine hadn't been used for a week or so. The jolt seemed to sort it. I know it sounds stupid but it worked 99% of the time

F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back