Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wnodows' 98 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmm1

Technical User
Nov 17, 2001
KR
Hello

Due to some virus, can not run the windows.
tried to reload from dos, with windows'98 CD & startup disk.

after windows'98 startup menu appears then

following appears on screen:

The following file is missing or corrupt = HIMEM.SYS
there is an error in your config.sys file on line 9

Microsoft RAMDRIVE version 3.06 virtual disk D:
RAMDRIVE: Extenred memory manager not present

The High memeory are (HMA) is not available
additional low mwmory (below 640K) will be used instead

The following file is missing or corrupted: Command.com
type the name of command interpreter

is anyone able to help.
please asvise

with obliged and thanks

Technical user

Try this:

Boot from a write protected, virus scanned WIN98 Emergency Boot Diskette to the A:\ prompt. At the A:\ prompt type
the following EXACTLY, (with the exception of the <enter>).

debug <enter>

fcs: 200 400 0 <enter>
acs: 100 <enter>
mov ax, 301 <enter>
mov bx, 200 <enter>
mov cx, 1 <enter>
mov dx, 80 <enter>
int13 <enter>
int20 <enter>
g <enter>
q <enter>

Once back at the A:\ prompt restart and boot again back to the A:\ prompt and type FDISK /mbr.

Reboot again.

You can now run fdisk normally and recreate your partitions and format. This SHOULD assure you that the HDD is virus free, before installation.

When installing win98, after fdisk try using format /s and create a directory such as WIN98. Boot with cdrom support from the floppy and copy all the files from the win98 under your cd-rom to the C:\WIN98 directory you just created. After all the files have been copied, remove all floppies and cd-roms and boot to c:\ prompt change to win98 directory and run setup from there. This assumes that you have an extra 150MB of hard drive space you're willing to part with, but it will put the cabs on the hard drive and save you from searching around to find the cd-rom everytime windows asks for it.

I'm not sure the symptoms you describe are virus related.
I've seen the symptoms you describe before and it usually means a bad CD-ROM to Hard Drive file copy or some bad sectors on the hard drive. I would also do a surface scan of the hard drive.

Dennis

A+, Net+

Hi

DennisSmith

Many thanks yr e.mail.
have tried your way, at A:\prompt, when typed debug <enter>

flwng appeared on the screen.
the file debug is missing or corrupt.

I made a new start-up disk and tried with that to go to set up, and it has worked up, so I think start-up disk which I was using may be not good.
but however if this would have been bad then it should appear that boot-disk not found, which was not happening.

once again thank you very much for your advise

have a nice day

Technical user

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back