Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WMP11 Problem with Win2k 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwoOdd

Programmer
Sep 10, 2003
CL
I've read the other posts with this problem (thread916-470268 and thread916-489349), but I still can't get my card to work.

I can't get the Linksys wmp11 card to work unless I log in as Administrator.

Any help would be appreciated,

TwoOdd
--------------
Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
-- Barry LePatner

With you logged in as an Administrator, create a New Task under the Task Manager. For that task, browse and specify the WLAN Monitor application (most of the time, it's in the Program Files folder of windows). Enable that task and enter your admin account password. For the schedule of that task, set it to At System Startup (it would usually be set to Daily). Make sure that nothing is checked under the Settings tab.

That should do it.

I enabled the WLAN Monitor, but where do I enter the admin account password and where do I set the schedule of the task?

TwoOdd
--------------
-- Barry LePatner

You have to go to the propertis of the New Task that you created. From the Task tab, that's where you can set the admin acct. password. There is also a Schedule tab, that's what I'm referring to.

I'm in Windows Task Manager and I can't find the properties for the task. Am I looking in the right place? I have right clicked on the task, looked under all of the menu options and no properties option.

TwoOdd
--------------
-- Barry LePatner

You created a new task for the wlan monitor right? so, you should have an icon there for that task. You just have to double-click on it to get the properties of that task.

Yes. The task listed has the following title: Linksys Wireless PCI Card WLAN Monitor

Running in the background is the Wireless PCI Card Setup Wizard and when I double click on the task in the Task Manager it minimizes Task Manager and sets the focus on the setup wizard. I don't get a properties window.

I appreciate your help with this.

TwoOdd
--------------
-- Barry LePatner

When you created the task, did you specify the application from c:\\windows\program files\wmp11 (may vary)?

It shouldn't be the wizard that you'll specify, it should be the wlan monitor or the configuration utility itself.

c:\program files\linksys\wmp11 config Utitlity\wmp11cfg.exe

There's nothing under c:\winnt\ that I could find. Just as a reminder, I'm running Windows 2000.

TwoOdd
--------------
-- Barry LePatner

If you wanna do this all over again...try the following:

Step-by-step:

1. From the Scheduled Tasks window, create a new task. You can do this by right-clicking on the window-New-Task.

2. Right-click on that task, select Properties. (or you may just double-click on that task)

3. Browse for the wlan monitor or config utility application file from c:\\windows\program files\wmp11.

4. Click on Set Password, and enter your admin acct password. Click OK. Make sure the Enabled box is checked, then click Apply.

5. Go to the Schedule tab, from the drop-down list, select At System Startup instead of Daily. Apply this.

6. Settings tab should be cleared. Apply this

Thank you so much for your help. It finally works. Only one other question: when I log on as a regular user, I get the message: Some necessary files are missing. This is in regard to the wireless card and it tells me that I should reinstall the software. I click OK and everything works as normal. I'm kind of skeptical of reinstalling the software because everything works fine, is there another way to keep that message from popping up?

Thanks again for all your help!!

TwoOdd
--------------
-- Barry LePatner

Good to know that the trick works for you! :)

Regarding that message...I haven't encountered that problem yet...but if want to reinstall the software, just use the cd. :)

Thanks. I guess I'll reinstall the software tonight.
Last night I kept looking in the Windows Task Manager(Ctrl-Alt-Delete -> Task Manager) instead of the Scheduled Task in the Control Panel. Once I got to the Scheduled Task window, everything started making sense.

Thanks for your help - saved me from having to reinstall Windows 98. :)

TwoOdd
--------------
-- Barry LePatner

just ignore the software missing message.anyway, you'll have to be w/ administrative rights to install the software.if u like, another simple solution to that can be:
While logged in as the administrator,go to Control Panel then go to Users, then create a new user using your Login Name (Username) then give it full access/rights.Restart the Pc and Login w/ the Username that you created. Then you'll have no more problem being logged on as the administrator, because you are already logged in with administrative access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back