Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

wmiprvse runaway process

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarlyle

Technical User
Mar 27, 2007
I have read plenty of previous info on wmiprvse, but none really pinpoints my problem. After starting the computer (XP Pro), no issues. Let computer time out and wait for a while, log back in, wmiprvse is running around 99%. There are 2 instances of wmiprvse running, one with user "system" is ok, the other with user "network" is the trouble maker. Once I stop that process all is fine until the next day. Ran Symantec virus check with none found. Any other ideas out there would be greatly appreciated.

CPU running at 100% - wmiprvse.exe eating up CPU
thread779-1244670

Is there anything in this location, in some of the logs, C:\Windows\System32\WBEM\Logs, or in your Event Viewer logs

To reinstall wmi into the registry:

Go to Start/Run and type in: CMD, then Winmgmt/? for information. Then run each of these hitting enter after each:

winmgmt/clearadap
winmgmt/kill
winmgmt/unregserver
winmgmt/regserver
winmgmt/resyncperf

Windows WMI - How to repair this problem?
thread779-1339429

You experience slow system performance when you run a program that uses the WMI service on a Windows XP SP2-based computer or a Windows Server 2003 SP1-based computer

Error Message: The Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Information Might Be Corrupted

How to troubleshoot WMI-related issues in Windows XP SP2

The WMI Diagnosis Utility -- Version 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back