Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WMI/WBEM, just isnt there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizardkng

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
US
Hi,

Im trying to configure a free network management utility called SpiceWorks (
When running an inventory on your network, and getting a failure, one of the first tests they have you run is to run, from a command prompt:

c:\wmic /user:username /password:yourpassword /node:remotemachine systemenclosure get serialnumber

Under normal conditions, the command prompt would return the serial number.

My problem is that when I try to run the WMIC command under windows 2000 server, that windows says its an unrecognized command. Its as if "WMIC" is not installed. I do a search for "wmic" and there are no "wmic" files.

I can run the PC management from within windows, but not from the command prompt.

I tried moving all the files with "WMIC" from my XP laptop to the server system32 folder, with no luck. (my laptop does have "wmic.exe"

Ive googled till Im blue, and the only thing I can find is "Windows Management Instrumentation is preinstalled in windows 2000"

It may be preinstalled, but I cant seem to get it to work.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

My be try winventory instead of spiceworks.
Have you tried wmidiag?
Does wmimgmt.msc work.
You might want to post this in the vbscript forum as a lot of scripts use wmi.

WMIC is not supported on W2K. It is available for XP and later (so W2K3 and Vista).

WMIC running on any of the three supported sytems can remotely query WMI information on an older OS such as W2K

start > Run > wbemtest

Neil J Cotton
Technical Consultant
Anix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back