Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WMI Filter User GPO by PC OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPJeffery

Technical User
May 26, 2006
GB
I'm not sure this is possible, but here goes.

We have a GPO that applies a screensaver (enforces which screensaver, to kick in after 20 mins, require the password to unlock and prevent user changes).

Pretty standard, except that I want this GPO to NOT apply if a user uses a particular PC.

e.g. if John Doe in New York logs on to almost any PC the screensaver GPO applies, but if he logs on using RDP to a PC here in London then that screensaver should not apply.

I've looked at WMI Filtering but can't see one that will apply by the Computer OU.

Can this be done?

JJ
[small][purple]Variables won't. Constants aren't[/purple]
There is no apostrophe in the plural of PC (or PST, or CPU, or HDD, or FDD, or photo, or breakfast...and so on)[/small]

Just make a "Screen Saver" GPO that only contains the screensaver settings on it. Then apply that GPO to the OUs that you want. If there is a sub-OU that it should not apply to, you can block inheritance on that particular OU.

Thanks, but that doesn't answer the question.

I know I can apply a GPO to OUs and block inheritance on sub-OUs. The issue is having different settings depending on which PC the user uses.

As it turns out Loopback Processing will do what I need.

JJ
[small][purple]Variables won't. Constants aren't[/purple]
There is no apostrophe in the plural of PC (or PST, or CPU, or HDD, or FDD, or photo, or breakfast...and so on)[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back