Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WMA file associations ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krinid

Programmer
Jun 10, 2003
CA
Can anyone tell me if there's an OS setting or a Media Player setting responsible for creation of WMA files from CD's not being able to be played in other applications (Winamp etc)? I used to be able to record with MediaPlayer and play in WinAmp, but suddenly became unable to.

It sounds more like a "reading" (file association) problem with WinAmp.

If I doubleclick the file, it opens in WinAmp (the file association is set as such), however even after clicking play, there's no sound at all.

This has me wondering if there's some OS setting or MediaPlayer setting to create types of WMA files that only MediaPlayer can play?

Have you upgraded versions of Winamp? I had a similar issue as you. I was using a version of Winamp pre verion 3, and wma files played fine, but once I installed winamp 3, all was trouble. I read numerous forums envolving this, and many folks complained that even though Winamp 3 was advertised to play wma files, it had some complications. At this pointe I went back to version 2.91(at the time) and all was fine. Now Winamp version 5 is out and it advertises an ability to play wma files. After several days of tinkering around, I was able to get winamp 5 to play wma files(even the new lossless wma files with media player 9). Maybe this fix will work for verion 3.

Follow this link, it should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back