Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wkstns cant view netneighborhood, but can access files through RUN\

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrock

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2002
US
Ok this is a weird one. Compaq Proliant ML530 server is running NT4.0, with 38 "98 workstations. The workstations cant view network in neighborhood but they are obviously connected (I can ping them fine, and on they can access network files through RUN-- \\files. Here are the other things that are going on that may affect them:
Installed 2 new NICs last night, teamed and working great.
Suffered power surge the other day that knocked out the old NICs. Also some workstations are getting knocked off network every now and again... By the way, ive got 2 Linksys switches and 2 SMC hubs that are working fine, other than reporting lots of collisions.
I think it may have something to do with electrical interference (wiring/grounding probs since the surge, plus every wire i touch shocks me), but anybody got any other ideas/suggestions?
thanks alot,
~*~WrOcK~*~

about the network neighborhood , see if your computer bowser on those stations is running , also check if they are all in the same workgroup/domain .
also check dns settings ... Alex,
Problem? No Problem!
Drink more beer...

Ok- I was wrong about the hubs, one was half-fried (which i overlooked yesterday since it was still squeezing a connect to wkstns). I replaced it and also changed all the wkstns's netcards from auto detect to 10-full, which seems to have cleared up the "kicking off" prob. However, they still cant view computers in net neighborhood. Could this be a NT permissions prob? I thought I checked everything, but its seems i must be overlooking something here.
any suggestions would help... thanks agin!
~*~wRoCk~*~

Changing the media type to FULL duplex is not usually supported with a HUB...

are the client DHCP or static addresses ?

Have you checked the WINS settings, are you using WINS ?

If you run "net view" do you get a list of computers ?

can you ping the server and client PC's by their hostname?

are there errors in the event log of the server ?

Ok- Things are running smooth except for the wkstns not being able to view in net neighborhood. However, when i run net view from the wkstns they get an Error 71, that the computer cannot accept any more connections? Hmm... Well its not such a bad thing that they cant view the neighborhood, b/c they can still access network resources, but for my curiosity's sake id like to know whats causing this...
Oh yeah they have static addresses, no WINS, and each workstation send/receive pings to the server and other wkstns.
Thanks!
~*~wRoCk~*~

Hi,

we have exactly the same problem here at the moment. We replaced the network card for a dual port one, and since then the browser service on this machine (its PDC and master browser) has been up the fritz. We've tried everything from service packs to network tweaks and tonight I'm going to try fresh Network card drivers. Using BROWMON.exe it shows the server as occasionally having a machine list but then it just drops it, while the Secondary browser's list stays fine.

Hope you have some luck so you can tell me what fixed it for you ;)

As an update reloading drivers acheived nothing so it looks like removing TCP/IP and reinstalling next - since you cant remove the browser service without removing the worsktation one, and it wont let you remove the workstation one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back